Without the enthusiasm and dedication of volunteers, The Ruth Bancroft Garden would not be here today. Volunteers are instrumental in maintaining the garden and supporting the organization. Volunteering at the Garden is a wonderful way to enjoy this exceptional garden and contribute to its success. We accept applications year-round.
Read below about our various volunteer opportunities at the garden.
- Construction (landscaping, irrigation)
- Gardening (weeding, planting)
- Greet visitors at admissions
- Encourage visitors to become members
- Orient visitors for self-guided tours
- Process admissions and sales (training provided)
- Weekly commitment of half day-shifts required; 8:45am-1pm or 12:45pm-4pm
Event Team Captains
EVENINGS & WEEKENDS
- Lead a team of volunteers at special events
- Cashier & Admissions
- Plant & Membership Sales
- Traffic Control
Hospitality Captain: A great match for someone who is a gracious host, and loves to see their guests having a good time. Supervises set up of bars and food stations, monitoring for refills, greeting guests. Time commitment: 3 hours per event, approximately 5 events per year. Phone meetings with event coordinator as needed. Training: two hours during an event.
Parking Captain: This is the first encounter with the event attendees, parking ease sets the tone for the event’s feel-good quotient. Supervise volunteers in regulating parking. Time commitment: 3 hours per event, approximately 5 events per year. Phone meetings with event coordinator as needed. Training: two hours during an event.
Set-up Captain: A great way to learn event management and space planning, as well as décor. This is an essential job – making sure everything is just right. Supervise volunteers in setting up table and chairs, placing tablecloths and centerpieces. Take down and clean up at event end. Time commitment: 4 hours per event, approximately 5 events per year. Training two hours during an event.
- Front desk (answer phones, filing)
- Computer work (graphic design, data entry)
- Outreach (design, distribution, research)
- Marketing & Mailings
WEEKDAYS & WEEKENDS
Our annual Docent Training Program will prepare you to lead tours in the Garden. Contact our office for fees and course schedule information (925-944-9352).
Banner photo by John Ricca