Nursery Sales Associate – Part time
Reports to: Nursery Sales Manager (NSM)
Part-time: three days a week, including weekends, 8:30am-4:30pm, with occasional evening shifts during Garden events.
To apply: please email firstname.lastname@example.org a cover letter and resume.
The Ruth Bancroft Garden is a world-renowned 3.5 acre botanical garden and retail Nursery housing a collection of climate-appropriate plants from around the world. We also offer a variety of classes, workshops, and events that encourage members and guests to connect meaningfully with the beauty of this Garden.
The primary responsibility for this position is customer service in the Nursery, with secondary customer service responsibilities at the Kiosk. In the Nursery we support daily plant sales through educated and engaging customer service. In the Kiosk we welcome visitors, process admissions, and sell Garden memberships.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide an exceptional customer experience for members, guests, and customers.
- Assist customers in selecting the best plants for their needs and provide customers care and culture info for the plants we sell.
- Refer customers to additional services we offer, such as landscape design services, and offer additional resources such as in-person classes and webinars.
- Carry heavy plants, pots, and soil to customer’s cars.
- Water, weed, treat pests, dead-head, and prune Nursery stock.
- Fill soil bags, rake Nursery aisles, clean up fallen plant labels and other debris.
- Receive and process deliveries: label/price, stock, and stage nursery plants and merchandise.
- Keep the Nursery stocked and organized throughout the day.
- Work major Nursery and Garden events, including evening and weekend events.
- Process payments using POS system.
- Generate membership sales by communicating the benefits of membership.
- Stay informed of events, workshops, and services offered.
- Assist with the daily opening and closing of the Garden.
- Ideal candidates must be friendly, engaging, and outgoing.
- Sales and customer service oriented, with excellent communication skills.
- Guest services and retail sales experience preferred.
- Eager to learn about the Garden and able to answer basic questions from the public.
- A dedicated interest in plants or a working knowledge of the plants featured in the Garden and Nursery.
- Ability to switch priorities quickly and handle multiple responsibilities at one time.
- Must be able to lift and carry 50 pounds safely and regularly.
- Able to stand for extended periods of time and work outdoors year-round.
The Ruth Bancroft Garden, Inc, is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.
To apply: Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com and put Nursery Associate in the subject line.