Nursery Associate – Full Time
The Ruth Bancroft Garden, a public garden and a nonprofit 501 (c) (3) organization in Walnut Creek, California is currently interviewing for a part-time Nursery Sales Assistant position. The Garden is a 3 ½ acre internationally significant collection of plants from arid regions of the world that Ruth Bancroft originally selected for their ability to thrive in the inland East San Francisco Bay region. The Garden’s nursery is an operation which generates a significant portion of the Garden’s annual budget and is important to the Garden’s mission and financial future.
Reports to: Nursery Manager
Compensation: $20 per hour
- Support daily plant sales.
- Learn and take care of cacti, succulent and dry garden plants.
- Answer questions for customers about our Botanical Garden and plants inside of it.
- Greet all customers as they enter the nursery sales area. Answer customer questions and provide an exceptional customer experience.
- Receive and process multiple plant deliveries a week.
- Ensure that the nursery is always stocked, staged, and priced appropriately.
- Process payment for plants and other purchases as needed.
- Plant maintenance and care duties.
- Water the retail area.
- Perform plant health activities on an as-needed basis.
- Support for Major Promotions/Events
- Work RBG major events. These are generally during the evening on weekends.
- Assist with organizing of sale areas the day before the event and restocking during the event.
- Ensure plants are labeled, priced, and staged.
- Sell garden memberships, workshops, and other RBG offerings.
- Make visitors aware of RBG volunteer programs, both in the Nursery and the garden.
- And more!
First and foremost, the ideal candidate must be a great salesperson-friendly, outgoing, and interested in plants, especially cacti, succulents, and other drought tolerant varieties. Must be able to lift and carry 50 lbs. and remain on feet for extended periods of time. Must be comfortable working outside in temperatures ranging from 50 to 95 degrees. Should have a working knowledge of the plants featured in the Garden and in the sales area. Must be able to take direction and work independently.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: From $20.00 per hour
The Ruth Bancroft Garden, Inc is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.
To apply: Please send resumes and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and put Nursery Sales Assistant in the subject line.