“While our primary goal in formulating this mix was to deliver our members and customers a higher quality product that truly excels at its intended function, it is also very exciting to be able to do so in a more sustainable fashion.” – Walker Young (Assistant Curator)
Not sure which blend is best for you? Visit us at the Ruth Bancroft Nursery for more information.
Potting soils are for use in containers (pots) only. They are not formulated to be used in the ground.
We carry two types of potting soils, both formulated to support healthy growth.
RBG Baseline Succulent Mix
Our Baseline Succulent Potting Mix is an excellent starting point for the vast majority of commonly cultivated succulents and cacti.
Why is our soil better than your typical cactus mix?
- For drainage and moisture control and high C.E.C. (cation exchange capacity), an indicator of thesoil’s ability to hold moisture.
- Fertilizer that is less likely to drain out.
- 80% mineral composition and great structural stability allows plants to be repotted less frequently because of lower material deterioration.
- Less likely to contaminate local waterways and aquifers.
- No additional chemical fertilizer.
- Locally sourced components.
- Better overall quality and consistency due to first-rate soil handling during the making and mixing of each bag.
RBG Proteaceae Mix
Plants in the Proteaceae family have certain cultural needs, specifically low pH and no phosphorus, that are often difficult to accommodate with conventional potting media.
Traditionally, growers have used peat moss as the primary component of Protea mixes because of its acidity, but it comes with the significant downsides of tremendous environmental damage and a very short lifespan in the pot due to its structural instability andhydrophobic tendencies.
This is one of the first commercially-available potting mediums targeting Proteaceae. It is sustainably sourced, with less than 10% of its components having traveled more than 500 miles from their single source points of origin. As with our Baseline Succulent Potting Mix, the structural stability, moisture retention, and cation exchange have been prioritized to deliver the best possible performance over the longest possible duration.
*We also carry bulk pumice. This is an excellent amendment for both containers and in-ground applications to increase drainage and air in the soil.
All three of these products are available for purchase at The Ruth Bancroft Nursery.