The Garden and Coronavirus/COVID-19
(Status Update as of March 16, 2020)
Due to the March 16, 2020 legal directive issued by the Contra Costa Health Services Department that mandates people shelter in place and that all non-essential businesses cease retail operations,
the Garden and Nursery will be temporarily closing, effective immediately.
We are deeply saddened by the effect this closure will have upon our loyal customers, volunteers and employees, but recognize that these actions are for the health and safety of them and the greater community, all of whom are the utmost priority.
In accordance with this directive, all classes, workshops, docent tours and other events at the Garden have been postponed until such time when the County directive is lifted. We will be communicating more details to those already enrolled in upcoming classes in the very near future. Watch for an email from us soon.
Private event rental customers – please contact our Private Events Manager, Lucy, directly via email at email@example.com
Landscape Design Services – we are still offering design consultations – it’s a great time to focus on your garden. More info, click here
We will update this webpage as situations change and hopefully we will be given the green light to open the Garden again to visitors in the not too distant future.
How you can help support the Garden during our period of closure:
Become a Member or Renew Membership! We will double the guest passes included with membership and give you a “closure extension” that extend your membership period to 12 months from the date we reopen.
Donate! Get our 50/50 Donation offer whereby you can elect to receive a coupon valued at 50% of your donation amount for use in our nursery once we reopen.
(Status Update as of March 13, 2020)
The safety and health of our visitors, our employees and the larger community is of utmost importance to us. We are monitoring recommendations from the County Health Departments, CDC and other health agencies closely and are implementing policies and sanitary practices that mitigate cross contamination risks.
WE ARE REMANING OPEN – and welcome you to visit us as a beautiful, calming, large open-air environment that allows for social distancing of 3-6 feet and is full of naturally disinfecting sunlight.
When visiting, please be advised that the following protocols will be utilized to minimize risks to nursery staff, volunteers and visitors.
- Docent tours – we will endeavor to continue offering our weekend docent-led tours but since these are led by volunteers, we cannot guarantee they will always occur. Tours however, will now be limited to 6 guests and recommended social distancing guidelines will be practiced.
- Guests will be asked to use hand sanitizer when entering/exiting and interacting with kiosk and nursery sales staff.
- Guests and staff are asked to adhere to the recommended social spacing of 3-6 ft. when interacting.
Classes and workshops – March/April classes and workshops are being taken on a case by case basis. Please watch for an email from the program coordinator, Alice Kitajima, or you may email Alice with additional questions if needed. Information regarding classes and events beyond April will be posted here at a later date.
As a reminder, Garden and Nursery hours are: Tues – Thurs 10am-4pm / Fri – Sunday 10am – 5pm / closed Mondays
Additional Measures we are taking:
We’d like to share the extra measures we’re taking here at the Garden & Nursery to ensure our area remains a clean and healthy space for all:
- Increasing routine cleaning and disinfecting of commonly-touched spaces and surfaces in our restrooms, at our admissions kiosk and in our office space.
- We are also providing additional hand sanitizer dispensers and wipes in all common areas.
- Encouraging all visitors and staff to practice healthy habits, including frequent and thorough hand washing for 20 seconds with soap and water, covering coughs and sneezes with a tissue, and staying home if you are sick or not feeling well.
Please reach out with any additional questions at firstname.lastname@example.org