The Garden and Coronavirus/COVID-19
(Update as of July 13, 2020)
The Garden and Nursery are OPEN
On April, 29th, Contra Costa County eased Covid-19 restrictions to allow retail nurseries and public gardens to reopen.
Classes and workshops will continue to be offered as online webinars until further notice. Check our Events section for the schedule.
In order to keep both our visitors and staff safe, and to adhere to Contra Costa County and State rules related to reopening, we are making changes to Garden and Nursery operational processes and implementing some new rules. Also, due to limited staffing, we are suspending our online plant sales and are unable to answer plant questions by phone or email at this time.
Here are our rules:
- If you are sick or under the weather, please come back to visit or shop another day.
- All visiting adults and children over 2 will be required to wear a face mask to protect yourself and those around you when entering the Garden or Nursery.
- Guests must abide by the CDC’s 6 feet apart social distancing guideline.
- Adults are encouraged to come alone or with 1 other person. Families of adults with children, up to 5 people maximum, will be allowed as long as they all reside in the same household.
- Picnicking in the Garden is not allowed at this time.
- Payment by bank card much preferred but cash will be accepted.
- Please refrain from asking staff to handle your phone in order to make design suggestions, plant identifications or diagnose plant problems from images.
- No docent led tours will be offered at this time.
What to expect when we reopen:
- A monitored and safe space in which to shop.
- Our team will all be wearing face masks.
- We will be limiting the number of guests in the Garden and Nursery.
- Separate entrance and exit areas into and out of the Garden and Nursery.
- Carts that have been sanitized before and after each use.
- Assistance loading soil and heavy items.
- A wide selection of plants along with soil, pots, and tools.
- There will be limited one-on-one staffing time per each guest.
- Available team members will be happy to answer questions from a safe 6ft. distance.
Private event rental customers – please contact our Private Events Manager, Lucy, directly via email at email@example.com
Landscape Design Services – we are still offering design consultations – it’s a great time to focus on your garden. More info, click here
We will provide updates here and via email as our plans develop.
Stay well and enjoy time in a garden… whether it’s yours or ours.
(Status Update as of March 16, 2020)
Due to the March 16, 2020 legal directive issued by the Contra Costa Health Services Department that mandates people shelter in place and that all non-essential businesses cease retail operations,
the Garden and Nursery will be temporarily closing, effective immediately.
We are deeply saddened by the effect this closure will have upon our loyal customers, volunteers and employees, but recognize that these actions are for the health and safety of them and the greater community, all of whom are the utmost priority.
In accordance with this directive, all classes, workshops, docent tours and other events at the Garden have been postponed until such time when the County directive is lifted. We will be communicating more details to those already enrolled in upcoming classes in the very near future. Watch for emails from us with updates.
(Status Update as of March 13, 2020)
The safety and health of our visitors, our employees and the larger community is of utmost importance to us. We are monitoring recommendations from the County Health Departments, CDC and other health agencies closely and are implementing policies and sanitary practices that mitigate cross contamination risks.
WE ARE REMANING OPEN – and welcome you to visit us as a beautiful, calming, large open-air environment that allows for social distancing of 3-6 feet and is full of naturally disinfecting sunlight.
When visiting, please be advised that the following protocols will be utilized to minimize risks to nursery staff, volunteers and visitors.
- Docent tours – we will endeavor to continue offering our weekend docent-led tours but since these are led by volunteers, we cannot guarantee they will always occur. Tours however, will now be limited to 6 guests and recommended social distancing guidelines will be practiced.
- Guests will be asked to use hand sanitizer when entering/exiting and interacting with kiosk and nursery sales staff.
- Guests and staff are asked to adhere to the recommended social spacing of 3-6 ft. when interacting.
Classes and workshops – March/April classes and workshops are being taken on a case by case basis. Please watch for an email from the program coordinator, Alice Kitajima, or you may email Alice with additional questions if needed. Information regarding classes and events beyond April will be posted here at a later date.
As a reminder, Garden and Nursery hours are: Tues – Thurs 10am-4pm / Fri – Sunday 10am – 5pm / closed Mondays
Additional Measures we are taking:
We’d like to share the extra measures we’re taking here at the Garden & Nursery to ensure our area remains a clean and healthy space for all:
- Increasing routine cleaning and disinfecting of commonly-touched spaces and surfaces in our restrooms, at our admissions kiosk and in our office space.
- We are also providing additional hand sanitizer dispensers and wipes in all common areas.
- Encouraging all visitors and staff to practice healthy habits, including frequent and thorough hand washing for 20 seconds with soap and water, covering coughs and sneezes with a tissue, and staying home if you are sick or not feeling well.
Please reach out with any additional questions at firstname.lastname@example.org