The Garden and Coronavirus/COVID-19
(Update as of April 20, 2021)
The Garden and Nursery are OPEN
The Garden and Nursery are open. We require both staff and guests to wear masks (except while seated and eating at a table) and adhere to social distancing guideline at all times. The situation may change so we advise you to check back on our website prior to visiting. We are monitoring capacity, and if full, you may be asked to return at a later time.
No advance reservation for Garden entrance is required. Purchase Garden Admission tickets at our kiosk when you arrive.
While most of our workshops continue to be offered online, we are beginning to offer some back in-person at the Garden. Check our Events section for specific event details and schedules.
In order to keep both our visitors and staff safe, and to adhere to Contra Costa County and State rules related to operating our business, we have implemented some new rules and operating processes.
Here are our rules:
- If you are sick or under the weather, please come back to visit or shop another day.
- All visiting adults and children over 2 will be required to wear a face mask to protect yourself and those around you when entering the Garden or Nursery.
- Please maintain 6 ft. of social distancing between you and other guests not from the same household.
- Eating & drinking are now permitted at the Garden when sitting at a table. We suggest bringing your own sanitizing wipes or table covering if planning to picnic. Masks MUST be worn when not eating or drinking.
- Please refrain from asking staff to handle your phone in order to make design suggestions, plant identifications or diagnose plant problems from images.
- No docent led tours will be offered at this time but volunteer Garden Hosts are available in the Garden on most weekends and they are happy to try and answer your questions.
Private event rental customers – please contact our Private Events Manager, Lucy, directly via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Landscape Design Services – we are still offering design consultations – it’s a great time to focus on your garden. More info, click here
Photographers and photo shoots – we are unable to accept daytime photo shoot appointments at this time. Special after-hours photo shoots may be arranged with our Private Events Manager. Begin by completing a photography session request.
We will provide updates here and via email as our plans develop.
Stay well and enjoy time in a garden… whether it’s yours or ours.
(Status Update as of March 16, 2020)
Due to the March 16, 2020 legal directive issued by the Contra Costa Health Services Department that mandates people shelter in place and that all non-essential businesses cease retail operations,
the Garden and Nursery will be temporarily closing, effective immediately.
We are deeply saddened by the effect this closure will have upon our loyal customers, volunteers and employees, but recognize that these actions are for the health and safety of them and the greater community, all of whom are the utmost priority.
In accordance with this directive, all classes, workshops, docent tours and other events at the Garden have been postponed until such time when the County directive is lifted. We will be communicating more details to those already enrolled in upcoming classes in the very near future. Watch for emails from us with updates.
(Status Update as of March 13, 2020)
The safety and health of our visitors, our employees and the larger community is of utmost importance to us. We are monitoring recommendations from the County Health Departments, CDC and other health agencies closely and are implementing policies and sanitary practices that mitigate cross contamination risks.
WE ARE REMANING OPEN – and welcome you to visit us as a beautiful, calming, large open-air environment that allows for social distancing of 3-6 feet and is full of naturally disinfecting sunlight.
When visiting, please be advised that the following protocols will be utilized to minimize risks to nursery staff, volunteers and visitors.
- Docent tours – we will endeavor to continue offering our weekend docent-led tours but since these are led by volunteers, we cannot guarantee they will always occur. Tours however, will now be limited to 6 guests and recommended social distancing guidelines will be practiced.
- Guests will be asked to use hand sanitizer when entering/exiting and interacting with kiosk and nursery sales staff.
- Guests and staff are asked to adhere to the recommended social spacing of 3-6 ft. when interacting.
Classes and workshops – March/April classes and workshops are being taken on a case by case basis. Please watch for an email from the program coordinator, Alice Kitajima, or you may email Alice with additional questions if needed. Information regarding classes and events beyond April will be posted here at a later date.
As a reminder, Garden and Nursery hours are: Tues – Thurs 10am-4pm / Fri – Sunday 10am – 5pm / closed Mondays
Additional Measures we are taking:
We’d like to share the extra measures we’re taking here at the Garden & Nursery to ensure our area remains a clean and healthy space for all:
- Increasing routine cleaning and disinfecting of commonly-touched spaces and surfaces in our restrooms, at our admissions kiosk and in our office space.
- We are also providing additional hand sanitizer dispensers and wipes in all common areas.
- Encouraging all visitors and staff to practice healthy habits, including frequent and thorough hand washing for 20 seconds with soap and water, covering coughs and sneezes with a tissue, and staying home if you are sick or not feeling well.
Please reach out with any additional questions at email@example.com