Thank you for your interest in the Docent Training program at the Ruth Bancroft Garden!
Docents are the public face of the Ruth Bancroft Garden and an essential resource we offer our visitors to deepen their understanding and increase their pleasure in Ruth Bancroft’s exceptional achievement. Our Docents play a vital role in shaping our visitor experience by leading tours for children and adults, and serving as informal Garden Hosts—orienting and welcoming visitors to the Garden.
Docent Training Program for 2021-22:
The Docent Training Program begins September 2021 and ends in April 2022, and includes 12 sessions of 3 hours each on Saturday mornings. We will observe all the guidelines for individual and group safety, including masks and social distancing.
The fee for the training is $300 for members, $350 for non-members. After 15 August 2021, chosen applicants will be contacted and directed to a payment page on the website.
All participants must be fully vaccinated and fill out a COVID-related liability/waiver form.
To decide if the program is right for you, here is an overview of what the training to become a docent includes.
- gaining basic botanical knowledge of succulents and cacti
- learning about water-conserving garden practices that are critical in this period of climate change
- understanding Ruth Bancroft’s garden design principles and why the garden’s beauty has endured for more than 4 decades
- identifying plants in the garden with our curator Brian Kemble, who collaborated with Ruth for 4 decades
- participating in training tours with other Bay Area garden experts.
- creating and presenting a 10 minute tour and giving productive feedback to classmates.
We recognize a 12-session course is a serious commitment of your time and energy with these expectations
- attend and actively participate in all 12 sessions
- complete advance readings and review online resources for each session
- participate in collaborative in-class projects with other trainees
- design, write, and give a 10 minute tour, with feedback from staff and veteran docents
- volunteer to lead docent tours at least once a month for a year after completing training.
Dates: Sept. 11, 25, Oct. 30, Nov. 20, Dec. 11, Jan. 22, Feb. 12, 19, Mar. 5, 19, 26, Apr. 9.
For a more information about the program click here.
If you would like to apply to become a docent for the Fall 2021 program, please complete the application form here.
We encourage you to apply early as spots fill up quickly. Last day to apply is August 15, 2021.
If you have further questions, please email Susan Van Dyne, RBG Docent Program Manager.