Nursery Sales Assistant – Part time
(open as of Oct. 2, 2020)
The Ruth Bancroft Garden, a public garden and nonprofit 501 (c) (3) organization in Walnut Creek, California is currently interviewing for a part-time Nursery Sales Assistant position. The Garden boasts a 3 ½ acre internationally recognized collection of plants from arid regions of the world. Ruth Bancroft originally selected these plants for their ability to thrive in the inland East San Francisco Bay region. The Garden’s nursery generates a significant portion of the Garden’s annual budget and is important to the Garden’s mission and financial future.
Schedule: 15 hours/week, Tuesdays and Sundays with additional days as needed.
Compensation: $17-19 per hour for 3-month trial period, with potential increase awarded when position becomes permanent. Starting pay is dependent on experience.
Nursery Sales Assistant Responsibilities
Support daily plant sales:
- Greet all customers as they enter the nursery sales area. Answer customer questions and provide an exceptional customer experience.
- Ensure that the nursery is always stocked, staged and priced appropriately.
- Process payment for plants and other purchases as needed.
- Process deliveries
Plant maintenance and care duties:
- Water the retail area 2- 3 times per week, or as needed along with your co-workers.
- Perform plant health activities on an as-needed basis.
- Ensure all plants are properly labeled and have price tags.
- Fill soil bags as needed.
Support for Major Promotions/Events
- Work RBG major events. These are generally during the evening on weekends.
- Assist with organizing of sale areas the day before the event and restocking during the event.
- Ensure plants are labeled, priced and staged.
- Sell garden memberships, workshops, and other RBG offerings.
- Make visitors aware of RBG volunteer programs, both in the Nursery and the garden.
- Other duties as assigned.
Must have a working knowledge of basic horticulture/botany. Additionally, the ideal candidate must be a great salesperson-friendly, outgoing, and interested in plants, especially cacti, succulents, and other drought tolerant varieties. Must be able to lift and carry 50 lbs. and remain on feet for extended periods of time. A working knowledge of the plants featured in the Garden and in the sales area highly desirable. Must be able to take direction and work independently
Reports to: Nursery Operations Manager
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to Cricket Riley: email@example.com. Please put “Nursery Sales Assistant Applicant” in the subject line