Nursery Sales Manager Position
For immediate hire. Open as of April 28, 2021.
This is a full-time position for Wednesday through Sunday.
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
The Ruth Bancroft Garden, a public garden and a non-profit 501 (c) (3) organization, is a nationally significant collection and display of drought tolerant plants from arid regions of the world which Ruth Bancroft found can thrive in the inland coastal region of California.
The Nursery Sales Manager (NSM) is responsible for overseeing the sales staff which includes Nursery Assistants and Sales Assistants. This team is responsible for all on site sales including plants, merchandise, and memberships. They are responsible to organize efforts to purchase, and sell plants to benefit the Garden, an operation which generates a significant portion of the Garden’s annual budget.
- The NSM is responsible for the Nursery retail space and ensuring the area is kept clean, organized, and appealing to customers.
- The NSM is responsible for managing Nursery sales, profit margins and identifying trends.
- The NSM is responsible for managing the Nursery staff, sales staff, and volunteers. The NSM will also identify volunteer projects, work closely with the Volunteer Coordinator, and help instruct volunteers in their work.
- The NSM is responsible for the Nursery’s plants, soil, pottery, and various other merchandise inventory and will be required to oversee periodic inventory.
- The NSM works closely with all the Garden staff including but not limited to Nursery Operations Manager, Office Manager, Marketing Director, Volunteer Coordinator, and garden staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee Daily Plant Sales
- Ensure that all retail areas of the Nursery are always stocked and attractively staged.
- Ensure plants are labeled and priced.
- Ensure dish gardens and other decorative items are created to enhance plant sales as able. This role should be delegated to the NS staff or volunteers most qualified.
- Knowledge of the POS system and the ability to run Nursery reports and analyze data for future sales and profits.
- Manage Sales Team
- Manage sales team’s schedule, including event staffing, time off and sick leave
- Set goals for each category and motivate team to reach and exceed those goals.
- Ensure all material needed in the kiosk are printed, ordered and stocked.
- Work with Marketing Director on marketing efforts to generate revenue
- Oversee Plant Inventory
- Monitor plant health daily and response pest or problems immediately.
- Oversee inventory of plants for input into our Point-of-Sale database (POS).
- Ensure the retail and propagation areas are clean and well-organized.
- Ensure that plants are on a watering schedule and that schedule is executed by the team.
- Ensure adequate winter protection. i.e.
- Remove tender plants from exposed areas.
- Cover exposed section of benching in Nursery
- Manage Volunteers
- Work with Volunteer Coordinator to organize volunteer session and provide instruction when needed.
- Identify work projects to be done and communicate them via the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Oversee volunteers when they work in the nursery
- A proven track record of managing a productive team.
- Sales experience.
- Ability to inspire, educate, and motivate staff members and volunteers.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Knowledge of plants, especially cacti, succulents, and drought tolerant varieties.
- Enjoys working with and assisting the public.
- Nursery experience.
Dependent on experience and to be reviewed after 3-month trial period.
The Ruth Bancroft Garden, Inc is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put Nursery Sales Manager into the subject line.