For Immediate Hire: Nursery Sales Manager Position
Available as of May, 8 2020
The Ruth Bancroft Garden, a public garden and a nonprofit 501 (c) (3) organization in Walnut Creek, California is currently interviewing for a Nursery Sales Manager position. The Garden is a 3 ½ acre internationally significant collection and unique display of plants from arid regions of the world that Ruth Bancroft originally selected for their ability to thrive in the inland East San Francisco Bay region. This is a full-time position Wednesday-Sundays.
The Nursery Sales Manager (NSM) is responsible for overseeing the sales staff which includes Nursery Assistants and Sales Assistants. This team is responsible for all on site sales including plants, merchandise, and memberships. They are responsible to organize efforts to purchase, and sell plants to benefit the Garden, an operation which generates a significant portion of the Garden’s annual budget.
- Responsible for the Nursery’s plants, soil, pottery, and various other merchandise inventory and will be required to conduct periodic inventory.
- Responsible for the Nursery retail space and ensuring the area is kept clean, organized, and appealing to customers.
- Manage Nursery sales, profit margins and identify trends.
- Manage the Nursery staff, sales staff, and volunteers
- Identify volunteer projects, work closely with the Volunteer Coordinator, and help instruct volunteers in their work.
- Work closely with all the Garden staff including but not limited to Office Manager, Marketing Director, Volunteer Coordinator, and garden staff.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee Plant Inventory
- Manage the purchase of plants to keep the stock interesting, relevant and current.
- Build strong relationships with growers and wholesale plant nurseries. Through those relationships, identify species of interest and unique plant purchases.
- Perform regular plant health checks and response quickly as needed.
- Conduct inventory of plants for input into our Point-of-Sale database (POS).
- Ensure the retail and propagation areas are clean and well-organized.
- Ensure that plants are on a watering schedule and that schedule is executed by the team.
- Ensure adequate winter protection. i.e.
- Remove tender plants from exposed areas.
- Cover exposed section of benching in Nursery
- Oversee Daily Plant Sales
- Ensure that all retail areas of the Nursery are always stocked and attractively staged.
- Ensure plants are labeled and priced.
- Ensure dish gardens and other decorative items are created to enhance plant sales as able. This role should be delegated to the NS staff or volunteers most qualified.
- Knowledge of the POS system and the ability to run Nursery reports and analyze data for future sales and profits.
- Manage Volunteers
- Work with Volunteer Coordinator to organize volunteer session and provide instruction when needed.
- Identify work projects to be done and communicate them via the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Manage Sales Manager (SM)
- Assist SM with sales team’s schedule
- Set goals for each category and motivate team to reach and exceed those goals.
- Ensure all material needed in the kiosk are printed, ordered and stocked.
- Work with SM and Marketing Director on marketing efforts to generate revenue
- A proven track record of managing a productive team.
- Sales experience.
- Ability to inspire, educate, and motivate staff members and volunteers.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Knowledge of plants, especially cacti, succulents, and drought tolerant varieties.
- Enjoys working with and assisting the public.
- Nursery experience.
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Depends on experience and will be reviewed after 3-month trial period.
Please send cover letter and resume to Tracy Fletcher, Chief Operating Officer at email@example.com and please put Nursery Sales Manager in the subject line.