Hours: Wednesday – Sunday 8:30am-4:30pm.
Reports to: Kiosk Assistant Manager
The Ruth Bancroft Garden, a public garden and a non-profit 501 (c) (3) organization, is a nationally significant collection and display of drought tolerant plants from arid regions of the world which Ruth Bancroft found can thrive in the inland coastal region of California.
The Associate’s main responsibility is to welcome visitors, sell Garden memberships, and support daily plant sales.
Duties and Responsibilities
Support daily sales in nursery and kiosk:
- Greet all customers as they enter the nursery sales area. Answer customer questions and provide an exceptional customer experience.
- Generate membership sales by selling the many values and benefits; be well acquainted with our membership options.
- Stock, stage and price nursery plants and merchandise.
- Process payments using POS system.
- Process deliveries.
- Assist with opening and closing the Garden on occasion. The Garden is open to the public from 9-4 Tuesday through Sunday.
- Stay informed of events, workshops, and services offered.
- Build sustainable relationships and trust with customers through open and interactive communication.
- Follow procedures, guidelines and policies outlined by the Garden.
Plant maintenance and care duties:
- Watering, plant care, labeling and pricing, and filling soil bags.
- Support for Major Promotions/Events.
- Work RBG major events. These are generally during the evening on weekends.
- Assist with organizing of sale areas before the events and restocking during events.
- Ideal candidate must be friendly and outgoing.
- Excellent sales and customer service skills.
- Sales and customer service experience, in an area such a as retail, is preferred.
- Must be able to lift and carry 50 lbs and remain on feet for extended periods of time.
- A working knowledge of the plants featured in the Garden and in the sales area is preferred.
- Must be able to take direction and work independently.
- Customer oriented and the ability to adapt/respond to different types of characters.
- High level of self-motivation.
- Willingness to learn about the Garden and answer basic questions from the public.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- High school degree.
The Ruth Bancroft Garden, Inc, is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $20.00 per hour