Associate Landscape Designer
(open as of April 29, 2020)
This is a part-time position that could become full-time
Reports to: Design Services Manager
The Ruth Bancroft Garden is a world-renowned 3.5-acre garden, housing a large collection of succulents, both unique and beloved, as well as drought-tolerant plants from around the world that thrive in the inland coastal region of California. The Garden’s founder, Ruth Bancroft, lived to be 109 and was a pioneer in drought-tolerant gardening.
We are currently seeking an Associate Designer to join our design team. Applicants should have 0-3 years experience in landscape design, must be highly proficient in Vectorworks and MS Office, and hold a degree or certificate in landscape design or architecture. Fluency in Mediterranean climate plants is highly recommended.
The Associate Designer (AD) is responsible for creating custom landscape plans for clients and providing hourly consultation services. They also pull and sell plants from the RBG Nursery for those clients.
- Answer calls, emails and on-site inquiries regarding Design Services
- Conduct site visits and intake
- Create custom bids
- For consultation, produce and provide simple plant lists and recommendations
- For custom plans, produce and provide computer-drafted landscape plans, plant information, plant purchase list and planting instructions
- Pull plants off from the Nursery
- Assist clients in buying plants from the Nursery
- Produce content for Design Services marketing materials
- Tour clients through the Garden to show mature specimens and explain proper care
- Work in Nursery and for special events as needed to support RBG.
- Flexible, open-minded and the ability to take constructive feedback
- Possess an eye for design, perspective, proportion, color and scale
- Ability to work independently and make deadlines
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Must be knowledgeable about the cultural needs of plants
- Understand irrigation system and sprinkler to drip conversion
- Candidate must be knowledgeable about soil science and proper soil amendment
- Lawn removal knowledge and experience.
Dependent on experience and to be reviewed after 3-month trial period.
The Ruth Bancroft Garden, Inc is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.
Please send resume and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put Landscape Design Assistant in the subject line.
For more information on our services, visit our landscape design services webpage.